Welcom.

There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a
life that is less than the one you are capable of living

~ Nelson Mandela





Thursday, October 21, 2010

Ask and you shall receive, seek and you will find, knock and it shall be opened up to you.

Day 61, Oct 11, Mon,

I spent the majority of the morning today typing up my blog (thus the reason the last blog entry was so large) I managed to finish it before lunch. At lunch, Br Endalkachew asked me if it would be possible to somehow get two computers running for use as a teacher’s resource and a student resource. I replied that I would do my best, but I reminded him that there were no computers working 100% percent, so the chances were somewhat slim. So after lunch break I headed to the computer lab to start working on it, before I did however, I decided to say a rosary as well as the divine mercy chaplet and put all in the Lords hands, because quite frankly it was well beyond my abilities at this point. Having spiritually prepared myself for technological warfare, I powered up the previous three computers that had the most likelihood to work, and what do ya know, two of them started right up, one of them was a bit slow, but they both worked! Imagine that!



Day 62, Oct 12, Tue,

Not much exciting happened this morning, uploaded some emails and worked on tomorrow’s English lesson, that’s about it. But after lunch I found my Amharic cd that I had purchased in Dubai, so I spent the afternoon learning, some of the things I learned:





Muz = Banana,



Awo = Yes,



Eydelin = No,



Indemin Aderu = Good morning,



Indemin Walu = Good Afternoon,



Indemin Ameshe = Good Evening,



Danich = Potatoes,



Danich tibbs = French fries,



Dabo = Bread,



Ayeb = Cheese,



Fandisha = Corn,



Shuka = Fork,



Monkia = Spoon,



Watet = Milk,



Lomi = Lemon,



Sukar = Sugar,



Asa = fish,



Sahen = Plate,



Tematim = Tomato,



To name a couple, I’ll list more as I learn them.



Day 63, Oct 13, Wed,

Today I had my first day of English Composition, I had finished designing the exercise I had started yesterday, and with it I will be able to gauge the level of comprehension of the students, which will help me to determine what it is I should be teaching. So I met with the students this morning and passed out my assignment, and after some explanation as to how they were supposed to fill it out, started working on it. (I should mention that it took a great deal of explanation before they properly understood what it was they were supposed to be doing.

After the time was up, I gather all of their papers and headed to my office to study the results. Before I go into how the students fared, I think I should explain a bit about what the test was, I was simply a list of words, and they were to take the words, form a proper sentence around it, and indicate whether the word they used was Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb, and to show the specific classification of those order, for example, the word Joseph is a proper Noun, the word Daughter-in-law is a compound noun, the word Jump is an action verb is a action verb, the word to be is a linking verb, Etc. Out of the 32 students who attended, only a handful demonstrated a competent knowledge of the structuring of sentences, so I think I have my work cut out for me.



Day 64, Oct 14, Thu, Happy Birthday to me,

Let’s see, this morning breakfast seemed extra nice, we had some spreading’s that we usually don’t get, an interesting chocolate type spread that also has some sort of hazelnut crème added, and some quince preserves, quite tasty.

There was no electricity today, so at the office I ended up reading a book to pass the time, it was called “the Mass explained, By Dr. Tom Curren” and it explained the four ways we encounter Christ in the service of the Mass, a great book that I HIGHLY suggest everyone should read.

After I finished the book, I said a rosary, and by the end of it the electricity had come back on, so I continued writing a series of short stories I have been creating for my little brother. For once writers block wasn’t a problem and I managed to type up two pages before it was lunch time.

Lunch was also quite gastronomical, there was a rice dish, it was a nice change from the bread and noodles I’ve been consuming for the past sixty days, lol.

The day had become rather hot, so after lunch I decided to take a siesta, and an hour and a half later I headed back to the office to continue work on mah stories. I really lost myself in what I was writing, and before I knew it, it was closing time, time flies when you’re having fun.

After packing up all my equipment and dropping it of in my room, I headed to the church for adoration for an hour of prayer, was a good way to end the day. (Although I wish these Ethiopian understood the concept of silent prayer, everything they do involves drums, shouting and clapping. Don’t get me wrong, it is an excellent way to energize yourself for the day, but at the end of the day I like to slow down and contemplate what has transpire through the day, as well as engage in some quality one-on-one time with the Lord.)

After dinner (which was unfortunately the usual fare) I was going to watch some MacGyver with legesse, but the power shut off again, so I retired early to mah bedroom and watched some videos on my laptop, then caught some shuteye, All-in-all, not a bad day.



Day 65, Oct 15, Fri,

Started another book today to keep myself busy, (nor electricity again today) this one was about the Popes world youth day addresses’ and how they can be lived out in today’s society, very fascinating so far.

At 10:00 the entire faculty staff and students of the technical school as well as the 5th and 6th grade students from the primary school gathered together with the delegates from H.E.K.S. (A group that helps finance the construction of buildings that promote peace) to celebrate the inauguration of the new cafeteria. At the event I met an English chap, Sam was his name, who has been in Gambella for the past year and will be staying for another four months.

He is working for the local Anglican Church as a project administrator for their human development goals. We got to talking for a bit, and I have to say it was nice to talk to someone who understands everything you are saying.



Day 66, Oct 16, Sat,

For the majority of the day, I have been working on a research paper about the city of Gambella, which I intend to send to the Administrators of the Salesian Lay missioners for use as a reference material for people who intend to visit the city, because quite frankly almost all of the information I received from them concerning my role in the town as well as the happenings has been misleading. Who knows, maybe if it turns out good enough I’ll publish it, lol.



Day 67, Oct 17, Sun,

After mass, Br. Endalkachew informed me that a friend of his, who was an expert on the construction of compies, was in town, so we met up with him and started working on the computers to see if we could get some more working.

It was also a lesson in humility for me, because to my chagrin several of the computers that I thought I had tested correctly to by not working started up with no problem, lol.

By the end of the day we were able to get four – five computers working, with the possibility of getting eight if we are able to formate the others.

The rainy season had been lasting an unusually long time this year, another storm front moved in this evening and dumped torrents of rain, I swear think I have seen and heard more Lightning and Thunder in Ethiopia than I have for the past ten years in Washington.



Also I have decided to included prayers that I enjoy saying on my Sunday blogs, don’t want to hoard all the graces for myself, lol, so here is the first one.



(To be said before a crucifix, preferably after receiving the Eucharist.)

Behold oh kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself knees in Thy sight before Thee and with a most fervent desire of my soul I pray and beseech Thee that though should impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity, a true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment, while in the depth of my soul I contemplate Thy Five Wounds, and the words that David put in Thy Mouth concerning Thee: They have pierced My Hands and My Feet, they have numbered all My Bones. Amen.





Day 68, Oct 18, Mon,

A friend of Br. Endalkachew, who went through the seminary with him, will be staying with us for the next couple days. He is currently working in Shire, with Becky and Stephen, so I was able to hear how they were doing, apparently they are performing well, I also received a letter from Marie in Addis. I really enjoy hearing from my fellow “Survivors” (To quote Marie in her letter) I need to make sure I take time to write them all letters of my own.



Day 69, Oct 19, Tue,

I traded some books with Br. Endalkachew today, I traded him “Lives of the saints for every day of the year” for an armful of books he had lying around all over the place. Currently I am reading “Plays of Anton Chekhov” a very interesting book so far. In the evening I watched MacGyver with Legesse, and at the end of the episode he commented that I should show a few episodes to the youth at the oratory because they contained some very good morals. Ha-hah! How many current T.V. series do you know of that could be considered a possibility for a tool to teach morality?

After the exhibition of Mac, before I switched off the T.V, I noticed that Home Alone was showing, lol, so I convinced Legesse to stay and watch it with me; twas quite enjoyable to see a classic, Legesse enjoyed it as well.



Day 70, Oct 20, Wed,

English Comp was today, It went extremely well and they enjoyed the process I implemented. I am trying to use as much of a hands on approach as possible to encourage them to feel comfortable in the classroom, thus making the learning process more effective I hope. I am positive it is not me who is doing this, but the Holy Spirit Who is working through me. Today I received a call from Therese, who is stationed in Dilla, she was calling about obtaining some vases that are made in the town but we also had some time to talk. Things have been a little rough in Dilla, but she is doing well. This evening I held a basic computer instruction course for the seminarians at the bequest of Abba Marcus, it went well.

1 comment:

  1. ALRIIIIIIGHT JOSHY! Its so cool that you can watch Macgyver and Home Alone with someone! And I agree with the morality part. MACGYVER ROCKS! AND SO DO YOU! I'm glad that your doing good teaching wise, and I hope your bowels will cease in their uproarious terror. I want to try doing the prayer at church this Sunday, so I'll bring a rosary to say it in front of after I receive the Eucharist. I'll be sending my letter to you soon so keep your eyes peeled! Your blog is so cool, and I'm learning alot. Also, since I don't have a Facebook, I didn't get the chance to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope your day was uber awesome! I'll keep ya guys in my prayers.
    GOD BLESS, Kellie!

    ReplyDelete